Re: A question - use 301 instead of 406?

To abuse an overused quote: "And now you have two problems."

Firstly, you have an additional kitten (URI) to pay for with the
descriptions resource in addition to the other URIs.

Secondly, the semantics of your descriptions resource are unclear.  Is it an
information resource or not?  Is it a conceptual set of all of the formats
of the descriptions of the original resource? If so, shouldn't it have its
own description?  If it's not that, what is it? If it is, how do you
negotiate for which format you want the description of the set to be in,
rather than the item from the set?

"Do not multiply entities unnecessarily" also comes to mind.

Rob Sanderson