Re: RESTful API for accessing DBpedia

Monika Solanki wrote:

>I am looking for a REST based API for programmatically accessing
>DBpedia's SPARQL end point. Any pointers much appreciated.

A SPARQL endpoint is by its nature already a REST-based API. You send it
HTTP GETs, and it returns data laid out in a specific protocol
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-rdf-sparql-protocol-20080115/).

To create the URL for the GET for DBpedia, you can escape the SPARQL
query (most programming languages have a function for this, but
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jlpoutre/BoT/Javascript/Utils/endecode.html is
nice for experiments) and append it to the following:
http://dbpedia.org/sparql?format=XML&default-graph-uri=

For example, doing this with this query

  SELECT ?p ?o WHERE { <http://dbpedia.org/resource/IBM> ?p ?o }

gets you this URL, which you can paste into your browser:

 http://dbpedia.org/sparql?format=XML&default-graph-uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org&query=SELECT%20%3Fp%20%3Fo%20%20%20WHERE%20%7B%20%3Chttp%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FIBM%3E%20%3Fp%20%3Fo%20%7D

Virtuoso provides the dbpedia endpoint, so you'll see more doc on this
at http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VOSSparqlProtocol.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're looking for?

Bob