Re: 303 redirect to a fragment – what should a linked data client do?

Hi,

Am 10.06.2010 14:34, schrieb Nathan:
> Christoph LANGE wrote:
>>> in our setup we are still somehow fighting with ill-conceived legacy
>>> URIs
>>> from the pre-LOD age. We heavily make use of hash URIs there, so it
>>> could
>>> happen that a client, requesting http://example.org/foo#bar (thus
>>> actually
>>> requesting http://example.org/foo) gets redirected to
>>> http://example.org/baz#grr (note that I don't mean
>>> http://example.org/baz%23grr here, but really the un-escaped hash). I
>>> observed that when serving such a result as XHTML, the browser (at least
>>> Firefox) scrolls to the #grr fragment of the resulting page.
>>
>> Update for those who are interested (all tested on Linux, test with
>> http://kwarc.info/lodtest#misc --303-->
>> http://kwarc.info/clange/publications.html#inproc for yourself):
>>
>> * Firefox: #inproc
>> * Chromium: #inproc
>> * Konqueror: #inproc
>> * Opera: #misc
>>
>> That given, what would an _RDFa_-compliant client have to do? I guess it
>> would have to do the same as an RDF client, i.e. look into @about
>> attributes
>> if in doubt.
>
> As Michael pointed out, there's an open ticket related to this on HTTPBis.
>
> First, I'd suggest that we don't need to worry about what's displayed by
> the User Agents, it doesn't really have any bearing on the RDF contained
> in the response (even with RDFa).
>
> Second, as with my previous reply, what happens with the dereferencing
> process is entirely orthogonal and abstracted from the RDF side of
> things, thus I'd suggest that in all cases when you want to find the
> description for a URI, you dereference it and consult the RDF
> description you get back.
>
> If you get no RDF then you don't have a description, if you do then
> check the subject and object values of the triples to see if you can get
> a description. Everything that happens between is of no concern to us :)

However, I think this is still the important gap we have to bridge
between 'the old' existing web and 'the new' forthcoming web, which will
hopefully provide a semantic graph knowledge/information representation
behind every dereferencable URI.

Cheers,

Bob