Re: Subjects as Literals

Thanks Steve.
Sort of settles the issue for me.

Yes, I see RDF as simply a graph, and so can't understand why rdfs:label is
any more sensible than rdfs:labels (as an inverse of rdfs:label)- it looks
like a convention on the directed graph to me, and arbitrary.
But as others have pointed out, pragmatism in use is very important.
If the cost is to break things, then it is a Bad Thing to change at this
moment.

So leave as be (but perhaps encourage technology providers to think about
being able to be liberal in accepting literals in subject position, where
possible).

By the way, in answer to questions of how easy it is to use RDF, my
experience is that it is just great for the big bucket of triples
applications that we seem to be using in our system.
That is, as a data interchange format.
Of course, if you actually want to model things, then it gets more
challenging, but then it is expected that it should be.

So it ain't broke enough to make it worth fixing, and there are a whole
bunch of other issues that Dan points out that might be worth thinking about
first.

Cheers
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser
Chief Architect

hugh.glaser@seme4.com
www.seme4.com

Seme4 - the experts in semantic web and linked data applications

Notice of Confidentiality. This e-mail message (including any attached
documents) is proprietary and confidential to Seme4 Limited and/or its
affiliates and may contain legally privileged information. It is intended
for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient,
you may not review, retain, copy or distribute this message and we ask you
to notify the sender immediately, then delete this message from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.