Re: Subjects as Literals

On 2010-07-01, at 03:20, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> In fact, a question I would like to ask, but suspect that noone who can
> answer it is still reading this thread ( :-) ):
> For those who implement RDF stores, do you have to do something special to
> reject RDF that has literals as subject?

In my defence, I'm not reading this thread, but someone pointed me at it :)

Yes, and no. The engine will reject any literals in the subject position, the index can't represent that. It's a source of significant optimisations, and we would have to do a /lot/ of engineering work to allow them.

To be brief: I don't care if there are usecases for literals in the subject position. It you could rewind time 10 years I might like them in there, but we've invested millions of pounds in engineering RDF stores conforming to RDF 2004. I can't, and won't throw that work away for some relatively obscure benefits.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK