Re: Content negotiation: Why always redirect from non-information resource to information resource?

Richard Light wrote:
> In message <4B605247.6030201@openlinksw.com>, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com> writes
>>> And that mixing and matching Linked Data, Topic Maps and full-text
>>> XML  (etc.) can potentially take us to some exciting new places.
>>> (But then  that's hardly news.  I remember discussing the value of
>>> URNs for this  sort of purpose some time around 1994.)
>> I agree, and I am simply saying: Topics are Things too, and they can
>> exist in EAV/CR model relationship graphs.
>
> Sure.  Has anyone actually tried that: storing assertions in a triple
> store, but treating them as a "virtual Topic Map"?  It's an approach
> which might yield benefits - and there are possibly paradigms other
> than Topic Maps which could usefully be virtualized on top of
> triple-store data.
>
>> I think we are exhibiting semantic pedantry here based on our
>> individual world views, which is fine, since this is really what this
>> whole gig is supposed to facilitate :-)
>
> Not just semantic pedantry, Kingsley, fun though that is ;-)  My
> inclusion, above, of full-text XML adds, I think, another dimension to
> this debate.
I think all dimensions are expressable via relations using existing
infrastructure be it the relationship collection associate with <link
rel="{some-relation}" .../> or claims in RDF triples.

I believe you are describing an "association".

> In all of this clever flattening of heterogeneous data onto the level
> playing field which is RDF, we are enabling information retrieval: the
> answering of questions.  And that's fine.  The information that is
> flowing around and available to us in this context is all RDF: simple
> assertions.
They are really EAV based assertions, RDF is a framework that uses this
model to facilitate a webby variant of EAV via incorporation of URIs
(generally) and Generic HTTP URIs  specifically re. Linked Data.  The
actual graph model of EAV has been with us for a very long time.
> However, the user who originally asked the question might not be
> satisfied with this type of information: they might want a story, not
> facts.  Where does the story come from?
The document that contains it. Said document has a URI (like any other
Item of interest).

> If each subject of discourse (whose URI we already know) can be
> delivered as full-text XML via the standard 303 redirection mechanism,
> that gives us one way of grabbing the full story in
> machine-processible form, and including whatever parts of it are
> relevant in our responses to questions

To the degree I understand what you are trying to articulate, I do
believe this can happen as is, even via SPARQL with the XML processed
from a literal object in a triple.

Kingsley

> Best wishes,
>
> Richard