Re: head/@profile needed in HTML 5? GRDDL in Linked Data community?

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 08:54 +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:
[...]
> > Does anybody need it?
>
> That's a little like asking if someone needs the emergency life-raft
> before telling them whether they get to keep using the boat or not.
> WIthout RDFa, DC would have to use it.

Well... sort of... my question is: are you invested in the specific
head/@profile mechanism in a way that would be unacceptable to
migrate away from, or are you open to other forms of markup
that might meet your needs? Sounds like you're open to other forms.

> > On a somewhat related topic... as RDFa matures, the need for GRDDL
> > somewhat fades. I wonder, though... to what extent is GRDDL
> > used in the linked data community? What tools consume it? What
> > content providers produce it?
>
> I've never used GRDDL, and I don't know of anyone actively using it.
> That said, there are many things I don't know! I have tried to get
> Redland/Raptor working with it to consume POWDER a couple of times,
> but with no success. When I think about running GRDDL against wild Web
> content, I have some vague worry about whether untrusted XSLTs are
> sufficiently sandboxed, but I haven't investigated the risks very
> carefully. I remember Bijan raising similar concerns a while back.

It's not just Bijan; yes, GRDDL involves running remote code.
I don't know why people aren't _more_ concerned about this,
in the context of javascript. Anyway...
The security considerations section is about half the spec.
http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#sec

> cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> > See also:
> >
> > The details of data in documents: GRDDL, profiles, and HTML5
> > By Dan Connolly in HTML, Semantic Web, Web Architecture, XML on August
> > 22, 2008 7:45 PM
> > http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/08/the_details_of_data_in_documen.html

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E