Re: Linking HTML pages and data

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> I really don't believe we achieve much via:
> <link rel="primarytopic"
> href="http://education.data.gov.uk/id/school/500006" />
>
> "primarytopic" isn't an IANA registered type link.

Yes, I know. Nor is foaf:primaytopic :)

I think there's a good chance of getting wide adoption for
rel="primarytopic" as a pattern / microformat / whatever. Having that
very simple relation would be a massive boost for cross-linking the
document web with the data web, important enough to warrant a special
case IMHO.

> If you absolutely need to use foaf then its better to qualify it:
> <link rel="foaf:primarytopic"
> href="http://education.data.gov.uk/id/school/500006" />
>
> Yes, its a PITA for the average HTML user/developer, but being superficially
> simpler doesn't make it a valid long term solution. There is a standard in
> place for custom typed links re. <link/>.

The two are not exclusive. In an RDFa environment, I would suggest
using foaf:primaryTopic (note case too - too easy for developers to
mis-type)

Ian