Re: Linking HTML pages and data

Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Sean Bechhofer wrote:
>

>> LODders
>>
>> A simple (possibly dumb) question. Is there a standard mechanism for
>> linking an HTML page to the non-information resource that it describes?
>
> Um. OK, I have an equally dumb question in response. What does it (what
> can it possibly) mean to *link* to a non-information resource? I have
> been understanding the usage of "link" to mean that a link is a URI
> which both refers to the thing being linked to (the linkee) and also
> provides access to it when used in an HTTP GET. But this latter, of
> course, exactly what is impossible to do when the linkee is a
> non-information resource, pretty much by definition.
>
> Do you mean, a standard mechanism to *refer to* the resource? Because
> surely that is done simply by *using* the URI which names it. It
> requires no other 'mechanism'; indeed, I don't think that there possibly
> could be a mechanism for reference.

On closer reflection I'm wondering if that even makes sense at all? Does
an HTML page describe a non-information resource? or does an information
resource describe an HTML page, and also link to what it describes?

for example; if the main content on the HTML page was a sioc:Post then

<http://example.org/mogwai-post#post> rdf:type sioc:Post ;
  foaf:primaryTopic <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Mogwai_(band)> ;
  foaf:page <http://example.org/mogwai-post.html> .

taking it further I guess the serialized rdf itself is a foaf:Document
too so:

<http://example.org/mogwai-post.rdf#this> rdf:type foaf:Document ;
  foaf:primaryTopic <http://example.org/mogwai-post#post> .

<http://example.org/mogwai-post.html#this> rdf:type foaf:Document ;
  foaf:primaryTopic <http://example.org/mogwai-post#post> .

then the <link> which is in the HTML document would be:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rdf+xml"
href="http://example.org/mogwai-post.rdf" title="RDF XML" />

Regards,

Nathan