Re: DBpedia-based entity recognition service / tool?

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> I should probably be replying here as I've been doing this, and working
> on this for the past few months.
>
> I've found from experience that the only viable way to address this need
> is to do as follows:
> 1: Pass content through to both OpenCalais and Zemanta
> 2: Combine the results to provide a list of "string" terms to be
> associated with dbpedia resources (where zemanta hasn't already done it)
> 3: Lookup each string resource and try and associate it to the string
> 4: Return all matches with results to the end user in order for them to
> manually confirm the results.
>
> Steps 3 and 4 are the killers here, because no matter how could the
> service you can't always match to exact URIs (sometimes you can only
> determine that you may mean one of X many ambiguous URIs); and ...

I don't understand the roundabout approach since both of these
services output Freebase identifiers and they are all mapped
explicitly to both DBpedia by owl:sameAs and Wikipedia via normal URL.

Why not just follow the links directly?  The only time this won't work
is where the concept was sourced from someplace other than Wikipedia
or Wikipedia article(s) were split/merged so there isn't a 1:1
correspondence.

Tom