Re: DBpedia-based entity recognition service / tool?

Hi David,

Thanks for the hint. I remember trying LUPedia a few months ago -- now it
has a defined API, which is a good addition. Unfortunately, the quality of
results could be improved quite a bit.

Here is a scientific statement that I would like to see annotated:
"Albizia julibrissin has anxiolytic-like effects that are mediated by the
changes of the serotonergic nervous system, especially 5-HT1A receptors."

LUPedia is unable to identify any entities in this string, although DBpedia
would contain them.
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Albizia_julibrissin
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Anxiolytic
http://dbpedia.org/page/5-HT1A_receptor

et cetera.

It seems to recognize person names, as for the string "Michael Jackson", the
following URIs are returned:

# http://dbpedia.org/resource/Parademon
# http://dbpedia.org/resource/Michael_Jackson

The first result is a bit puzzling (DBpedia tells me that 'In the DC
Universe, Parademons are monstrous shock troops of Apokolips used by
Darkseid to maintain the order of Apokolips.').

LUPedia does not seem to do any kind of stemming either, as submitting the
string "Michael Jacksons" reduces the list of extracted URIs to:

# http://dbpedia.org/resource/Parademon

LUPedia in its current form will not perform too well in practical settings.

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald