Re: [fresnel] Fresnel: State of the Art?

I think, it would make sense at some point in time to work on "Fresnel 2".

My experiences (while implementing editing extensions for Fresnel for Hyena [1]) were as follows:

- Fresnel works great for editing, with a few extensions. I've found some things to be too complicated (mainly formats and the rules for applying them) for my taste, so I would simplify those for Fresnel 2.

- For HTML *display*, I now prefer templating (with ideas similar to JSP). It gives you more control and is conceptually very simple. RDF templating would benefit from standardizing,  too; I've just recently seen a paper somewhere that describes (yet another...) RDF templating mechanism.

- Fresnel is still useful for editing and for targetting multiple display architectures (e.g. HTML and PDF, e.g. via iText). It is perfect when a form is all you need.

[1] http://hypergraphs.de/hyena/

Does this make sense? Does anyone (dis)agree (possibly vehemently ;-) ?

Axel

--
Axel.Rauschmayer@ifi.lmu.de
http://www.pst.ifi.lmu.de/~rauschma/