Re: Breaking News: GoodRelations data now shows up in Yahoo!

Hi David,

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> http://goodrelations.doconnor.user.dev.freebaseapps.com/
>
> Freebase data being rendered as Good Relations ("Or Barbie and Ken's
> Semantic Web Playset")

thanks for the initiative - very valuable!

 >What's the best way to validate this / check it would show up in Yahoo
 >search results?

You can use http://developer.search.yahoo.com/help/objects/product

A few comments as for the data:

What you find in Freebase are likely gr:ProductOrServiceModel instances,
not offers.  So you should create instances of gr:ProductOrServiceModel
for each "Product" in Freebase first.

Those define the properties of the model - e.g. that what you would
usually find in a manufacturer's datasheet:

- description
- image
- EAN/UPC
- weight
etc.

Note that the price is not a feature of the product model, but a
property of one specific offer to sell such objects, i.e. a gr:Offering.
(I assume there will be way more product models in Freebase than those
which you find currently, and it could be that querying for a price is
the reason.)

If you have a business entity and a price, you could also add a
gr:Offering etc. as you are doing right now. But note that Mattel will
often not sell individual barbie dolls to end users at the suggested
retail price. So the offer must be constrained to resellers. And then
you don't have  price...

This is why I would suggest to limit the export to the model data. Those
can be linked in the LOD cloud to actual offers, e.g. from BestBuy or
from eBay (via OpenLink's new eBay sponger).

So the basic structure should be

a) Model data ("Datasheets")

foo:Barbie1234 a gr:ProductOrServiceModel;
 rdfs:label "blabla"@en;
 rdfs:comment "blabla"@en;
 gr:hasEAN_UCC-13 "1234567890123"^^xsd:string;
 gr:hasManufacturer foo:Mattel.
#etc.

foo:Mattel a gr:BusinessEntity.
gr:legalName "Mattel Toys Inc."@en.
#etc.

You can add the statement that Mattel also offers individuals of that type:

foo:Offer a gr:Offering;
    gr:includes foo:SomeBarbie1234s.

foo:Mattel gr:offers foo:Offer.

foo:SomeBarbie1234s a gr:ProductOrServicesSomeInstancesPlaceholder;
 rdfs:label "blabla"@en;
 rdfs:comment "blabla"@en;
 gr:hasEAN_UCC-13 "1234567890123"^^xsd:string;
 gr:hasMakeAndModel foo:Barbie1234.
#etc.

But then you should not attach a UnitPriceSpecification.

For your reference, I add a list of properties for gr:Offering,
gr:ProductOrServiceModel, and gr:ProductOrServicesSomeInstancesPlaceholder.
Also, I recommend the UML diagram at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/File:Goodrelations-UML-2009-07-18.pdf

gr:Offering
    owl:includes
    owl:hasBusinessFunction
    owl:availableDeliveryMethods
    owl:eligibleCustomerTypes
    owl:includesObject
    owl:availableAtOrFrom
    owl:hasPriceSpecification
    owl:hasWarrantyPromise
    owl:acceptedPaymentMethods
    owl:eligibleRegions
    owl:hasEAN_UCC-13
    owl:hasGTIN-14
    owl:hasStockKeepingUnit
    owl:validFrom
    owl:validThrough

gr:ProductOrServiceModel
specific: none
inherited:
    owl:isAccessoryOrSparePartFor
    owl:qualitativeProductOrServiceProperty
    owl:isSimilarTo
    owl:isConsumableFor
    owl:quantitativeProductOrServiceProperty
    owl:hasManufacturer
    owl:datatypeProductOrServiceProperty
    owl:hasEAN_UCC-13
    owl:hasGTIN-14
    owl:hasStockKeepingUnit

gr:ProductOrServicesSomeInstancesPlaceholder
specific:
    owl:hasInventoryLevel
    owl:hasMakeAndModel
inherited:
    owl:isAccessoryOrSparePartFor
    owl:qualitativeProductOrServiceProperty
    owl:isSimilarTo
    owl:isConsumableFor
    owl:quantitativeProductOrServiceProperty
    owl:hasManufacturer
    owl:datatypeProductOrServiceProperty
    owl:hasEAN_UCC-13
    owl:hasGTIN-14
    owl:hasStockKeepingUnit

Best
Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_IEEE_CEC%2709