Re: Ontology Wars? Concerned

Hi Kjetil,

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Friday 20. November 2009 09:37:42 François Scharffe wrote:
>>> Eventually, this will evolve into a reference site with best practices
>>> for  each problem newcomers present, and provide a launchpad for
>>> ventures beyond what's there with minimal cost.
>> Sounds like www.ontologydesignpatterns.org
>
> Ah, great! I wasn't aware of that site. However, it doesn't quite seem to
> be what I want, it seems like they are more concerned with general
> patterns, not with making suggestions about specific ontologies to use.
>
> For example, SIOC has a Role class, that could be used for AgentRole,
> Location should probably use the geonames:Feature class, etc.

Yes I totally agree. Actually these entities should be indicated on the
portal under fields Known Uses and References.

> This Wiki doesn't make it clear to me if it is the purpose to address such
> concerns.

The ontology design patterns portal purpose is to collect different kind
of ontology patterns: content, architectural, logical, alignment and
re-engineering patterns.
Content patterns are actually ontology fragments related to a particular
ontology. For example if you look for a way to represent Biological
Species you can access it through domains->Biology and then spot the
Biological_Entities pattern [1] which is actually a piece of the FAO
ontology. For the moment the portal mainly contains upper level
entities, but we all put links to existing vocabularies it can quickly
become very useful.

Cheers,
François

[1] http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Submissions:Biological_Entities