Re: differentFrom?

Richard Light wrote:
> Hugh Glaser's sameAs.org site [1] provides a facility for finding
> multiple URIs for the same concept.  How about a site which does the
> opposite: indicates where URIs refer to _different_ concepts? Obviously,
> this is only helpful where you might be tempted to assume that the
> concepts are identical, e.g. because the same word or phrase is used to
> describe/identify both.
>
> Wikipedia's disambiguation pages are doing this job for human readers:
> is there a Linked Data equivalent?

I've experimented with this in my FOAF file: basically I provided descriptions of other people with the same or similar names as me (homepages etc, whatever I know about them, preferably IFPs) and then declared them to be owl:differentFrom me. In the end I removed it again because I like to keep this a bit fuzzy for privacy reasons. ;-)

Other use cases... hmmm. Maybe product descriptions where you have lots of slightly different versions of a product that might get confused.

I definitely think it's useful for Linked Data purposes, just like owl:sameAs, IFPs and everything that Allemand and Hendler describe as RDFS-Plus (although they don't include owl:differentFrom in that).

Regards,
  Simon