Re: OWL and LOD

On Tuesday 12 May 2009, John Goodwin wrote:
> I know there is a new SPARQL working group - is there much talk of
> OWL inference + SPARQL going on there?

Yes, there is. I may have come across in the minutes as an "OWL
skeptic", since I was the only one opposing the view that the group
should spend time on it but really, I'm not. It is just that we've used
some pretty simple reasoning in a commercial solution, and we didn't
really get the performance we wanted and thus concluded it is still
hard to sell, and therefore other matters should be prioritized.

I think that the whole range of ontologies, from the informal SKOS
thesauri to the formal rigorous OWL Big-O ontologies makes sense for
different things, but that one should be aware of strengths and
weaknesses for each application, and that some things may take a couple
of years to "get there".

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer