Re: Semantic Web logo. Copyrights, etc

Ivan,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
> Aldo,
>
> Yes. The box
>
> http://www.w3.org/Icons/SW/sw-cube.{svg,png,giv}
>
> can be used as you describe. If put into a composition but it is clearly
> recognizable, I do not see any issue with that either. A good example is
> the logo used by RPI:
>
> http://tw.rpi.edu/wiki/Main_Page
>
> (They actually went out of their way by creating an image map, so that
> the box links to the W3C site, whereas other parts of the logo links to
> RPI...)

OK Great ;)

> 'Distortion' is not listed on the logo page and, I presume, this might
> be a borderline. I could apply strong distortion that would make the
> logo barely recognizable, and I think W3C might have an issue with that.
> But mild distortion (ie, slight change in scale factors) should be fine.
> If you really want to apply such distortion, you may want to check with
> W3C first.

I can't remember now, but I am sure there are some distorted versions
out there in the wild. In particular I remember one with a twirl.

In a dogfood manner, is there an RDF vocabulary to describe such
relations? ( derived from ).
It would be useful if the W3C demanded the generated logos to be
RDF-linked to the page via a wiki for example.
Well, that's too much of a stretch, but I think this is not too crazy
an idea: Dogfood, show benefits (right on the page via a dynamic link)
and save some work W3C work patrolling for logos.

This is also in line with CC and, perhaps, even Open Data licensing, etc.

> Cheers
>
> Ivan

Thanks,

PS. I said "derivatives". The D word... sorry for that ;)

> Aldo Bucchi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Not sure if this is the place for this, but I believe it is common concern.
>>
>> I have seen several projects using tweaks (color, distortion,
>> composition) of the Semantic Web "box" logo. After reading the
>> policies I "believe" that this is allowed as long as there is no "W3C"
>> logo involved.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2007/10/sw-logos.html
>>
>> Is this correct? Can I create such modifiied derivatives from the
>> clean box logo w/o running into any problems?
>> Composition is the border case as the logo is unmodified and
>> recognizable, therefore legally "troublesome".
>>
>> My 2 cents is that they should allow "anything" as long as you strip
>> the W3C part.
>>
>> Thanks,

> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153

Aldo Bucchi
U N I V R Z
Office: +56 2 795 4532
Mobile:+56 9 7623 8653
skype:aldo.bucchi
http://www.univrz.com/
http://aldobucchi.com/

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This message is only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, please do not distribute or copy this
communication, by e-mail or otherwise. Instead, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail.
INFORMACIÓN PRIVILEGIADA Y CONFIDENCIAL
Este mensaje está destinado sólo a la persona u organización al cual está
dirigido y podría contener información privilegiada y confidencial. Si usted no
es el destinatario, por favor no distribuya ni copie esta comunicación, por
email o por otra vía. Por el contrario, por favor notifíquenos inmediatamente
vía e-mail.