Re: Semantic Web logo. Copyrights, etc

Aldo,

Yes. The box

http://www.w3.org/Icons/SW/sw-cube.{svg,png,giv}

can be used as you describe. If put into a composition but it is clearly
recognizable, I do not see any issue with that either. A good example is
the logo used by RPI:

http://tw.rpi.edu/wiki/Main_Page

(They actually went out of their way by creating an image map, so that
the box links to the W3C site, whereas other parts of the logo links to
RPI...)

'Distortion' is not listed on the logo page and, I presume, this might
be a borderline. I could apply strong distortion that would make the
logo barely recognizable, and I think W3C might have an issue with that.
But mild distortion (ie, slight change in scale factors) should be fine.
If you really want to apply such distortion, you may want to check with
W3C first.

Cheers

Ivan

Aldo Bucchi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if this is the place for this, but I believe it is common concern.
>
> I have seen several projects using tweaks (color, distortion,
> composition) of the Semantic Web "box" logo. After reading the
> policies I "believe" that this is allowed as long as there is no "W3C"
> logo involved.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/10/sw-logos.html
>
> Is this correct? Can I create such modifiied derivatives from the
> clean box logo w/o running into any problems?
> Composition is the border case as the logo is unmodified and
> recognizable, therefore legally "troublesome".
>
> My 2 cents is that they should allow "anything" as long as you strip
> the W3C part.
>
> Thanks,

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153