Re: Pubs data

Tom Heath wrote:
> Hi Kingsley, Hi John,
>
> First off, sympathies John for the roasting on Facebook - not a nice
> experience I'm sure.
>
> Re your question Kingsley... I should be careful what I say, don't
> wanna give anyone any ideas ;)
>
> Seriously though, regarding Revyu, while I developed the site, the IP
> currently rests with the OU (part of the terms of my PhD), so the
> picture gets even more complicated than it is already. There have been
> some varied outcomes AFAIR in UK courts regarding the relative
> culpability of messengers (i.e. sites) vs reviewers in reviewing
> scenarios. Naturally IANAL, but apparently the defamation laws in the
> UK are some of the most draconian around, so you're right to be
> cautious John (sad though it is).
>
> The most comparable experience from Revyu involved a review of a
> garage; it's documented here in a way that prevents this blogger being
> sued but retains the text online (and tells the account of the threats
> received); note how the text is constructed:
> http://doodznchyx.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/mot-mechanic-in-milton-keynes-chilling-free-speech/
>
> So as that post says, I took the review down when an email was sent
> threatening to get the lawyers involved, but I also logged the
> takedown notice in the Chilling Effects database
> <http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi> (now this would be AWESOME
> as linked data) so that it didn't go unrecorded. I'm also very
> grateful to Martin Poulter for blogging about it at the address above.
>
> Since then I have moderated a few reviews voluntarily (I don't like
> doing this, but it seems to be a sensible precaution for all parties)
> but no more threats have been received. In my experience most people
> are less reactionary than the garage and the people you and I
> encountered. Some places have had bad reviews followed by a number of
> highly positive reviews (perhaps even by friends of the owner, who
> knows). In fact, this would be my first response to angry reviewees -
> if you disagree then write your own review, or ask your satisfied
> customers to do the same. This is much more powerful from a business
> point of view than legal threa
>
> No idea if this helps; it may at least round out the picture.

Tom,

Certainly clarifies a lot.

Naturally, I do expect other Review services that are Linked Data based
to emerge soon. I am certainly trying to encourage all "Review" services
I encounter to make this shift --- as you may have noticed via some of
my Tweets [1] :-)

Links:

1. http://search.twitter.com/search?q=revyu.com

Kingsley