Contd LOD Data Sets, Licensing, and AWS

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Leigh Dodds wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2009/6/24 Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>:
>>
>>> To save time etc..
>>>
>>> What is the URI of a license that effectively enables data
>>> publishers to
>>> express and enforce how they are attributed? Whatever that is I am
>>> happy
>>> with. Whatever that is will be vital to attracting curators of high
>>> quality
>>> data to the LOD fold.
>>>
>>> If you have a an example URI even better.
>>>

>> You can chose from several at http://www.opendatacommons.org/
>>

>>> Take a look at Freebase, and how they are effectively doing what I
>>> espouse.
>>> Google uses Freebase URIs, and they attribute by URI.
>>>

>> I have. I've read the licensing, terms and policies of a number of
>> different websites.
>>

>>> I see Freebase using CC-BY-SA to effectively propagate their URIs. I
>>> also
>>> see all consumers of Freebase URIs honoring the terms without any
>>> issues.
>>>

>> Really? I'm not trying to be unfair, but where on:
>>
> You're not being unfair. We are trying to get to the bottom of
> something that really important.
>> http://lod.openlinksw.com/
>>
>> Or
>>
>> http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffreebase.com%2Fguid%2F9202a8c04000641f80000000083d84dd
>>

> The URIs are in full view. Use a Linked Data Aware user agent against
> the URIs and you end up in the originating Freebase Data Space. This
> is my fundamental point re. preservation of original URIs.
>> Are the attributions required in:
>>
>> http://www.freebase.com/signin/licensing
>>
>> A link to the topic page isn't enough based on the terms that Freebase
>> currently publish. I'm not saying I agree with them, as clearly they
>> don't scale well in the large. They've also not defined an attribution
>> policy for data linking. And if they don't care enough about the
>> attribution to follow-up, then why not publish it under a
>> non-attribution license in the first place?
>>
> The source of the data in our data space is crystal clear by virtue of
> URI visibility. Just look at the Entity URI associated with the text
> following "About:" (the @href value). We are saying: this page is
> about a resource in the Freebase Data Space and we use the Freebase
> URI in @href. In short, just click on it and see what happens :-)
>

> You can use ODE, DISCO, Zitgist Data Viewer, or Tabulator etc. to
> explore the URIs, and you will end up in the originating data space of
> [...]
Also note:

1. In the footer sections of our pages (as we do re. DBpedia) you do
have links to alternative metadata (resource description)
representations (RDF/XML, N3 etc..) ;

2. Click on one of the items referred to above and you will see all
roads point to the originating data space courtesy of the implicit
attribution that HTTP URIs accord.

Just need to fix the little snafu in the embedded RDFa.

Others:
note, we have <http://lod2.openlinksw.com> online now (it has much more
data i.e., 5 Billion Triples and counting), and it will soon be what you
see at: http://lod.openlinkswcom (which is old and contains less data).

President & CEO