Re: vocabularies and data alignment

Hi,

I think we all want to do the same thing: aligning vocabularies in order
to enhance interoperability in the cloud. There is the top-down
approach: aligning vocabularies first, and using the alignment to
provide functionalities for the data. For example, if Google releases a
dataset using their googlevocab ontology, we could use an alignment
between it and FOAF to tell a link generator under which classes similar
instances will be found. (advertisement: providing alignments is the
task of the alignment server [1]).
With this experiment we want to go in the other direction, from data to
vocabularies. We take this path by looking at link generator
specifications, what they need as input, and see in what degree it would
be possible to abstract this input as a kind of ontology alignment. This
could provide functionalities such as aggregation, composition and
verification of links and alignment (see detailed description [2]).

Cheers
François

[1] http://aserv.inrialpes.fr/
[2] http://melinda.inrialpes.fr