  From: Sherman Monroe
  To: richard.hancock@3kbo.com
  Cc: Azamat ; SW-forum ; public-lod@w3.org ; Chris Wallace
  Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 7:32 PM
  Subject: Re: sameas.org

  Chris,

  On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM, <richard.hancock@3kbo.com> wrote:

    Hi Azamat,

    one thing I would like to be able to do is enter a search query similar to
    the following:

    "Kiwi a bird"

    using the "a" to indicate "rdf:type" and to substitute for "bird" the
    classes known to represent that concept. The search would then be made
    with the substituted list of classes specifying the entity type.

  This would indeed be a better UI, however, disambiguation will be challenging in the wild. Any UI based on state-of-the-art tech will require the user to disambiguate. One could say that lod.openlinksw.com and razorbase are browsers which encourage user to disambiguate her way to the desired results.

  I've prepared some slides [1] which presents the file system metaphor as a useful approach for linked data browsers. I think it offers a nice alternative to the more natural UI you're describing.

  [1] http://www.slideshare.net/guest02493a3/razorbase-examples-part-4

  -sherman