Re: ANN: sameas.org

Hi Richard,
Here goes...

On 04/06/2009 00:54, "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:

> Hugh, Ian,
>
> Great work -- simple, visually attractive, does what it says on the
> tin. A pleasure to use.
>
> Question: What can you say about the provenance of the sameAs data?
> The about page doesn't reveal much about this. This is sort of
> important to know before we can decide where and how to use the
> service -- anything that helps me judging the quality of the data
> would be useful. Is it hand-curated, does it contain wild triples from
> the Web, can it be spammed etc.
I have added some stuff on the about page which may go some way towards
answering your question.

> Comments about the RDF output.
>
> The general RDF graph has the shape
>    <U1> owl:sameAs <U1>, <U2>, <U3>, <U4> .
>
> I think it would be pretty cool to make it
>    <#this> owl:sameAs <U1>, <U2>, <U3>, <U4> .
>
> That way, I could add a nice triple to my FOAF file:
>
>    <#cygri> owl:sameAs
>
> <http://sameas.org/rdf?uri=http://richard.cyganiak.de/foaf.rdf%23cygri#this
>> .
>
> (Okay, I like this mostly because of the recursive cleverness of the
> idea. In reality, an rdfs:seeAlso would probably do just fine. But
> isn't owl:sameAs sooo much sexier?)
Ian quite liked the idea, but as you know anything that smacks of generating
a new URI for the existing ones makes me uncomfortable, to say the least.
So he is pondering, and it is possible he will do it, but I don't think anyt
time soon.

> I think the RDF output could do with some extra triples. First, a
> meaningful dc:title for the document URI would be quite nice:
>
>    <http://sameas.org/rdf?uri=http://richard.cyganiak.de/foaf.rdf%23cygri
>>
>        dc:title "Co-references from sameAs.org for foaf.rdf#cygri" .
Seems good, goes on the list.

> Then, a foaf:primaryTopic triple would make several tools (most of all
> Tabulator) very happy:
>
>    <http://sameas.org/rdf?uri=http://richard.cyganiak.de/foaf.rdf%23cygri
>>
>        foaf:primaryTopic <http://richard.cyganiak.de/foaf.rdf#cygri> .
Probably good as well.

> Furthermore, what about dc:license?
Added some words in the about - any advice as to what the licence might be?
I guess there is some cc licence that corresponds to:
"The information is provided as-is and without any warranty.
It is freely available for any use as you wish."

> In the case of /rdf?q=xxx, some nod in the direction of Sindice, e.g.
> via dc:source pointing to the Sindice RDF result, would be nice.
Good idea - will look at it.

> You might want to put a higher-resolution logo graphic somewhere, so
> that people who use your service can display it, similar to how you
> use the Sindice logo.
The logo was the last thing we did, and I announced before Ian had finished
- I do get enthusiastic, and the workers have to pay :-)

> Again, thanks for this service.
Pleasure - prefix.cc provided some inspiration.
And many thanks for the thoughtful comments.
Hugh