Contd. "Two-way Search" demo anyone?

Danny Ayers wrote:
> 2009/7/28 François Dongier <francois.dongier@gmail.com>:
>
>> Right, I was surprised to see Dave Winer suggesting just a pointer to the
>> searcher's blog URI. It certainly would seem more efficient to have the
>> query include a pointer to a *rich*, structured, user-editable user-profile.
>>

> True, a person's profile URI or even their own URI would bypass a
> step. But if the person has a profile online it can be pointed to from
> their blog/homepage for autodiscovery:
>
>   <link rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" title="FOAF"
>                href="http://example.com/~you/foaf.rdf"/>
>
> (from http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#sec-autodesc )
>
> When a person *doesn't* have a profile online, it may still be
> possible to narrow the search focus through data extracted from their
> blog (and/or other publications). If you're lucky there'll be some
> meta tags or maybe links to well-known entities (e.g. Wikipedia URIs).
> Links to less well-known material might also be useful if that remote
> material contains some explicit data.
>
> Natural language-derived entities drawn from a person's blog may well
> be useful in the context of search, for example running Winer's blog -
>
> http://scripting.com/
> through
> http://www.alchemyapi.com/api/entity/
>
> - produces output including the entity "Berlusconi".
>
> While Winer != Berlusconi, the fact that Winer has blogged about him
> indicates some level of recent interest, just the kind of thing you
> want for more focussed search.
>
> So although the personal profile approach is probably the most
> desirable, more general filtering using RDF based entity matching
> (more or less 'similar' or 'related' pages) would be nice to have.
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.

Danny,

In addition to FOAF+SSL's WebID route, you also have Open Social Graph
API. We can even process RDFa and Microformats. Then you have Yahoo!
BOSS etc.. Lots of ways to dedictively discern something about issuer of
the query :-)

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO