Re: Linked Data and the Public Domain

From: ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program <metadataportals@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
To: Linking Open Data <public-lod@w3.org>, Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com>
When will the tutorial be available?

Milton Ponson

--- On Thu, 7/16/09, Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com> wrote:

From: Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com>
Subject: Linked Data and the Public Domain
To: "Linking Open Data" <public-lod@w3.org>
Date: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 11:32 PM

I wrote up some background to licensing, waivers, the public domain and how it applies to linked data. I also included examples of how you can declare a public domain waiver for a linked dataset.

http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2009/07/linked-data-public-domain.php

Hope this helps people with these complex issues. In other news, our tutorial "Legal and Social Frameworks for Sharing Data on the  Web" which covers these kinds of issues was accepted for ISWC2009.  I am not a lawyer, but we will have an expert lawyer taking part in that tutorial (see http://www.jordanhatcher.com/ )

Ian