Re: Dons flame resistant (3 hours) interface about Linked Data URIs

There's a lot to be said for keeping things very simple.

Over in the biodiversity informatics community we've adopted Life
Science Identifiers (LSID) as our identifier of choice, which require
special software to both serve and resolve, plus the added
complication of convincing your friendly sysadmin to add SRV records
to the DNS (and no, I had no idea there were such things until I got
involved in LSIDs).

The result has been rather limited uptake by data providers (albeit
millions of records now have LSIDs), many LSIDs are broken (resolvers
not working properly), and pretty much no client applications making
use of them.

Some in our community think LSIDs are a mistake, and yearn for the
simplicity of HTTP URIs. It's ironic that they too, are not so simple
after all. Or perhaps, they are but we're determined to make them more
complicated than they need to be.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page