Re: DBpedia 3.3 - different versions of Geo data description

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 07:08:36 -0400
To: "Andreas Blumauer (punkt. netServices)" <blumauer@punkt.at>
CC: dbpedia <dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>, public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
blumauer@punkt.at wrote:
> Dear,
>
> there are now three different versions/properties to describe geo locations:
>
> 1. http://dbpedia.org/page/Leipzig uses
>
> dbpprop:latDeg, latMin, latSec etc.
>
> 2. http://dbpedia.org/page/Berlin uses (good old)
>
> geo:lat, geo:long
>
> 3. http://dbpedia.org/page/Paris uses
> dbpprop:latLong redirect to dbpedia :Paris/latLong/coord
>
> Our PoolParty [1] application made use of version 2.
>
> How will the Linked Data community handle this kind of problems in the future?
> If changes in already widely used schemata are made, this causes several problems.
>
> Best wishes,
> Andreas
>
> [1] http://poolparty.punkt.at/

Andreas,

The solution has always been to make a set of purpose specific named
rules in Virtuoso using owl:subproperty. Once the rules are loaded, you
simply use a pragma with your SPARQL queries which applies these rules.

We should have a standard set of these mapping rules loaded as part of
DBpedia in general.

Georgi: have you done anything re. the above based on the DBpedia ontology?

President & CEO