Re: GeoNames and Spatial Queries

Christopher St John wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:06 AM, John Goodwin
> <John.Goodwin@ordnancesurvey.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Christopher St John wrote:
>> [SNIP]
> You've confirmed I'm not crazy.
>
> My worry as a mashup author is that the web of linked data
> has holes in places I didn't expect, and navigating across the
> gaps requires traditional integration code.
No DBMS is perfect for cognition gifted humans. The Linked Data Web is
no exception.
Their are two many dimensions to human context :-)
What the Linked Data Web surely offers, as alleviation, is the ability
for you to construct your views, as defined by your realm of
comprehension and its associated dimensions.

> That reduces the
> advantage that linked data gains from having a generic
> representation and common keys.
I don't think so. If a DBMS lacked a query language and View creation
capability then I would agree, but this simply isn't the case.
The Linked Data Web is DBMS infrastructure, powerful data oriented
plasticine from which you can  mould wonderful things (in this case
Views for a particular world view).
> Of course, there will always
> be holes, but geodata seems like a pretty big gap given that
> Google maps and widely available geodata were the "killer
> mashup components" that set off the web 2.0 mashup craze.

What's the Killer Mashup? If being able to find geospatial objects
associated with a URI is your desire, then this is about View
construction and Data Meshing (lookups and joins in SPARQL or via a
service).

> I'd still like to get my mashup done, so I'll do a bit more
> research then code something. Assuming it actually works,
> I'll write up a summary.

"Code Something" is the problem :-) That's "Mashup" speak.

Model and contruct data associated data view, that's "Meshup" speak.

You are really seeking a URI that expose a Thing with geospatial object
association, right? Thus, when you put the URI in a browser you get a
map of those things etc..

Are the following ample examples:

1. Display a map of places associated with battles linked to "Naploleon"
2. Geospatial browsing along the lines of: http://linkedgeodata.org/browser/

> Thanks for the feedback, it helps to know I'm not missing
> something obvious.
>
> -cks

President & CEO