Re: Commonly supported properties

Jay,

On 14 Feb 2009, at 16:20, Jay Luker wrote:
> I'm interested in getting people's thoughts on a particular line
> from the
> "How to publish Linked Data on the Web" tutorial. Specifically the
> following...
>
> "It is common practice to mix terms from different vocabularies. We
> especially recommend the use of
> rdfs:label<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_label>and
> foaf:depiction <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#term_depiction> properties
> whenever possible as these terms are well-supported by client
> applications."
>
> I'm curious about a couple of things in regards to this: a) does
> anyone know
> what "client applications" the authors might be referring to,

For example, Tabulator will use an rdfs:label as the name of the
browsed resource, and will show a foaf:depiction as an image (rather
than showing a link like for other properties). Other data browsers do
similar things. The Sindice search engine will show rdfs:label,
dc:title and a few other properties as the title of a search result
listing.

> and b) are
> there examples of other properties that enjoy similar support?

My completely unscientific take on this: The really widely supported
stuff is rdf:type, rdfs:label, rdfs:comment, and everything from FOAF
and Dublin Core. On the second tier, we have SKOS, SIOC, RSS 1.0, DOAP
and a few others, so if your app or data source covers a domain
addressed by those vocabularies then it's a good idea to support/use
them.

Best,
Richard