Re: Minting URIs is bad?

On 2/2/09 7:44 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> I see minting a URI as a completely casual activity, not greater in
> responsibility than, say, publishing a message on Twitter or posting a
> comment on a YouTube video. The argument that “introducing an
> identifier into the world bestows great responsibility upon you” is
> harmful in my eyes, and actually borders on FUD. Is the intent to keep
> the right to mint URIs in the hand of some Select Few Who Know How To
> Do It Properly? I hope not. I'd rather spread a message that
> encourages people to put linkable data out there, rather than warning
> them about the 53 things that they should worry about each time they
> touch RDF.
Dan,

The responsibility of a Data Source Name Minter/Owner is no greater than
that of any URL creator or minter (imho). We give things Identifiers
when we find them useful; typically to ourselves first, and then to
others when published in some shared space (e.g. Web).  I think the Web
as a "Structured Data Space" can survive absolutely fine with URI
proliferation just as it has survived URL proliferation :-)

As for your valid concerns I think (or hope) many of these will end up
in the Linked Data Product / Service USP box.

President&  CEO