Re: Species Concept Mapping RDF fixes and question, should the species be represented as a class? Class SpeciesConcept => Class Species Cougar

Hi Richard,

> So, can an rdfs:Class also be used as a skos:Concept, or vice versa?

Yes.

> OWL DL folks will obviously not like this, but that's not my problem.
>
> A problem might be this: If there is a skos:Concept, and we use it as a
> class, what exactly are the instances of that class? Having this:
>
>    foo:Cougar a skos:Concept; skos:prefLabel "Cougar".
>
> And then doing this:
>
>    bar:Bob a foo:Cougar .
>
> Then Bob could be an animal, or Bob could be some sort of document,
> because the foo:Cougar concept may have been a "container" for documents
> rather than animals. So the "bar:Bob a foo:Cougar" triple really just
> tells us that bar:Bob is somehow related to or about cougars, but not
> that Bob is an animal of the species Cougar. This problem could be
> solved by saying that "foo:Cougar rdfs:subClassOf ex:Animal". So the
> problem can be worked around. But it still shows that using concepts as
> classes is tricky business.

I never pretended that was easy, just that there were fewer problems ;-)

However, I would in general expect that the link between a document and its subject should be represented by a dedicated property that is not rdf:type [1].
If people generally adopted this pattern, there would be less chance of someone's using the cougar concept as the class of documents about cougars, which I expect is the most likely confusion.

But of course you can never remove all danger. When you start using a concept as a class, I guess it would be good practice to add some documentation (e.g. an rdfs:comment on the class) to clarify your intention.

As you say in the following, one can expect less issues for the other direction. All (RDFS/OWL) ontologies can be regarded as knowledge organization systems, but KOSs are generally not trivially mapped into ontologies.

> The other way round -- using classes as concepts -- seems safer. I find
> it hard to find a practical problem with this. Both for classes and for
> concepts there are custom properties for indicating equivalence --
> owl:equivalentClass and the different skos:match properties -- so one
> can steer clear of owl:sameAs and avoid most of the usual coreference
> problems.

Yes!

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/#secindexing