Re: Species Concept Mapping RDF fixes and question, should the species be represented as a class? Class SpeciesConcept => Class Species Cougar

Hi Richard,

>>> Two issues.
>>> 1. I don't think that individual animals should be typed as
>>> skos:Concepts, but rather as something like ex:Specimen or ex:Animal.
>>> So, the Cougar class should be a subclass of ex:Specimen or ex:Animal
>>> rather than of skos:Concept. In the words of Bernard Vatant,
>>> skos:Concepts are "library business objects" (or "taxonomist business
>>> objects"?); Bob the cougar in the zoo next door doesn't seem to fit
>>> that definition.
>>
>> Well, couldn't your questioning put the other way round? I thought
>> that Peter was indeed starting from items that are very much
>> "taxonomist business objects", hence very easy to represent as concepts.
>
> One simply has to be aware that skos:Concepts in a skos:ConceptScheme
> are not the same as the real-world entities they stand for, and Peter
> has to be clear which one he is talking about.

+1

>> And in fact, while I understand that it is not very intuitive to have
>> Bob the cougar as a skos:Concept (even though it is technically
>> allowed), I see less problems for dealing this way with the class of
>> cougars...
>
> Mentioning that you see less problems without going into any detail is
> not exactly useful. I see more problems.

Yes, I should have been clearer.

In fact the most important argument (as I understand it from the discussion you started at [1]) against considering a given entity as a skos:Concept is that this entity may not have been designed as part as a knowledge organization endeavour. It is for example rather far-stretched to say that a person like Michelle Obama was conceived as part of a knowledge organization system.

My point is that this is less problematic for classes, as these are items of a knowledge organization system from the start. They are also "taxonomist business objects", aren't they? So we could easily treat them as skos:Concepts.
We have in fact touched this aspect in some parts of the SKOS documentation [2,3,4]. I'd be very interested to know whether you think this is wrong view!

Best,

Antoine

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2009Nov/0000.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-skos-primer-20090818/#secskosowl