Re: RDF Update Feeds

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:35:05 Alexandre Passant wrote:

>What about using RSS feeds (w/ RDF extensions) combined with RSSCloud
> or PubSubHubbub ?

+1

I started working on a PuSH/RDF implementation a few weeks ago. Any
recent project I'm involved in seems to require a more real-time-ish
experience, and PuSH/PSHB is a very elegant and pragmatic solution.

A very nice add-on is that it supports simple private update streams
(you can for example push profile updates to selected people in your
address book w/o too much hassle). What I also like is the ability to
hook into the wealth of RSS/Atom feeds already out there, even though
you still have to implement a polling mechanism for legacy feeds that
don't support pub/sub yet.

PuSH needs asynchronous processing and job queues, and writing a
compliant hub is not trivial. But compared to implementing RDF
specs, I dare say it's pure joy ;)

For resource updates and predicate-level changes (maybe even object-
level, not sure yet), I'm looking at Atom Activities[1]. They are a
bit like RDF, and more obvious than a directly embedded SPARQL/Update
query. Translating incoming RDF activities to Talis Changesets or
SPARQL INSERTs/DELETEs seems to be straight-forward, but I'm not
there yet code-wise, so this is really just a guess so far.

Cheers,
Benji

[1] http://activitystrea.ms/

--