Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Fwd: Your message to Dbpedia-discussion awaits moderator approval

Pat Hayes wrote:
> This website should be taken down immediately, before it does serious
> harm. It is irresponsible to publish such off-the-wall equivalentClass
> assertions. The presence or absence of hierarchies, or the similarity
> to tags, are completely irrelevant: the semantics of
> owl:equivalentClass are quite unambiguous and are fixed normatively by
> the OWL specs, so these assertions have a definite meaning; and with
> that meaning they are wildly, irresponsibly and dangerously false. Tim
> is treating it lightly, but this is in fact quite a serious matter.
> Please DISABLE public access to this resource until this is fixed.
>
> Pat Hayes
Pat,

Note, I loaded the triples into a separate Named Graph. The data is
hosted in the same Virtuoso instance that hosts DBpedia, but not part of
the main DBpedia data set. The Linked Data Spaces are partitioned. This
goes back to the very point I believe Alan was making re. linksets and
core knowledgebase datasets. Stuff can go wrong, and I don't have to
make a more problematic DELETE or UPDATE against the entire DBpedia
Named Graph in the Quad Store. Thus, lets assume this needs to be
scrapped, all I have to do is scrap the Named Graph hosting the broken
datasets using SPARUL (Update or Delete).  On the other hand, lets
assume I feel this is all fine, but you disagree vehemently, all that
happens is that when I SPARQL I have the option to inference (albeit
questionably) using these rules, while you don't, since its just my
relatively warped "world view" (from say your view point) hosted in my
own Linked Data Space that happens to be Web accessible  :-)

Just Another nice dog-fooding example, across many vectors re. Linked
Data and the Web.

Kavitha: At the very least you need to fix the Freebase URIs, and then I
would also suggest the options Tim Finn offered. Once implemented, I can
just reload :-)

Kingsley

> On Aug 10, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Tim Finin wrote:
>
>> Kavitha Srinivas wrote:
>>> I understand what you are saying -- but some of this reflects the way
>>> types are associated with freebase instances.  The types are more like
>>> 'tags' in the sense that there is no hierarchy, but each instance is
>>> annotated with multiple types.  So an artist would in fact be annotated
>>> with person reliably (and probably less consistently with
>>> /music/artist).  Similar issues with Uyhurs, murdered children etc.
>>> The
>>> issue is differences in modeling granularity as well.  Perhaps a better
>>> thing to look at are types where the YAGO types map to Wordnet (this is
>>> usually at a coarser level of granularity).
>>
>> I think you need a different property to express the relation between
>> the
>> freebase types and yago classes.  The whole point of grounding OWL in
>> logic is
>> to allow people and computers to draw inferences from the OWL
>> statements.  Those
>> statements in the dump do assert that anything that is in the set
>> yago:Uyghurs
>> is also in the set yago:MurderedChildren and vice versa.
>>
>> Why not use rdfs:subClassOf to relate a yago class to a freebase type
>> when every
>> member of the class is tagged with the type but not everything tagged
>> with the
>> type is a member of the class.
>>
>> skos:narrower is another option, maybe.

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

President & CEO