Re: linked data mashups

2008/11/24 Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>

> Peter Ansell wrote:
>
>> 2008/11/23 Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com <mailto:
>> juanfederico@gmail.com>>
>>
>>    Hi Giovanni and all
>>

>>    On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Giovanni Tummarello
>>    <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org
>>    <mailto:giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>> wrote:
>>

>>        > I guess that is THE question now: What can we do this year
>>        that we
>>        > couldn't do last year?
>>        > ( thanks to the massive amount of available LOD ).
>>
>>        Two days ago the discussion touched this interesting point. I
>>        do not
>>        know how to answer this question.
>>        Ideas?
>>

>>    We need to start consuming linked data and making reall mashup
>>    applications powered by linked data. A couple of days I just
>>    mentioned the link for SQUIN: http://squin.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>    The idea of SQUIN came out of ISWC08 with Olaf Hartig. The
>>    objective is to make LOD accesible easily to web2.0 app
>>    developers. We envision adding an "S" compoment to the LAMP stack.
>>    This will allow people to easily query LOD from their own server.
>>
>>    We should have a demo ready in the next couple of weeks.
>>
>>    We believe that this is something needed to actually start using
>>    LOD and making it accesible to everybody.
>>

>> How does SQIUN differ to a typical HTTP SPARQL endpoint? So far it accepts
>> a "query" parameter as a SPARQL select statement and executes the parameter
>> on (some configured?) SPARQL endpoints from looking at the single sourcefile
>> I could find [1]. Having said that, I have been holding off getting my
>> bio2rdf server to actually process rdf but it doesn't look so hard now. (The
>> bio2rdf server is actually more generic than just biology or even bio2rdf
>> but it is still named that in response to its origins. And in contrast to
>> SQUIN it focuses on CONSTRUCT queries rather than SELECT)
>>
>> On the subject of mashups I have been thinking in the last few days of
>> combining the bio2rdf server with the pipes.deri.org <
>> http://pipes.deri.org> interface for mashups, as some fairly
>> sophisticated mashups can be done on pipes.deri.org <
>> http://pipes.deri.org>, but a lot of the generic queries seem to be
>> better handled at the client level where people can control with
>> configurations what endpoints are used and have backups if a particular
>> endpoint fails.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> [1] http://tinyurl.com/6cvdl8
>>
> Peter,
>
> Has anything happened re. cross-linking the data across bio2rdf.org and
> dbpedia.org?

I have been waiting for information about what progress has been made with
the community based infobox extraction framework. Then the relevant
predicates in the protein/gene/chemical infoboxes can be used pretty easily
for linkages.

> Sane cross-linking is vital to Linked Data Web oriented Meshups.
>
> Note, there is a distinct difference between a Mashup and a Meshup in my
> world view. Mashups are nice looking opaque Web pages that have code behind
> them while Meshups are transparent Web pages with Linked Data behind them
> (i.e. the data object URIs are accessible to machines). A Meshup style page
> is really the Linked Data Web's equivalent of a traditional DBMS View.

I do understand the difference, but I tend to use the term mashup for any
combining of the data sources independent of the presentation. Its hard
enough defining a mashup when people ask for a definition without going for
another similar term from my experience.

Cheers,

Peter