Re: Size matters -- How big is the danged thing

On 22 Nov 2008, at 22:06, Peter Ansell wrote:

> On the point of licensing...  Why do more data sets not include
> links to the
> relevant copyright statements and/or licenses with cc:license [1] ,
> dc:license etc.?

Creative commons often isn't appropriate in this area, since what we a
talking about are collections of facts. The creative element is not in
the content but the collection and arrangement of the facts, and the
notion of 'ownership' is captured in database rights, rather than
copyright. Happily Talis and others been looking at this area:

<http://www.opendatacommons.org/>

and particularly:

<http://www.opendatacommons.org/odc-public-domain-dedication-and-licence/

Damian