Re: DBpedia 3.2 release, including DBpedia Ontology and RDF links to Freebase

On Nov 17, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

> Azamat wrote:
>> Monday, November 17, 2008 2:11 PM, Chris Bizer wrote:
>> 'We are happy to announce the release of DBpedia version 3.2. ...
>> More information about the ontology is found at: http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Ontology'
>> While opening, we see the following types of Resource, seemingly
>> Entity or Thing:
>> Resource (Person, Ethnic group, Organization, Infrastructure,
>> Planet, Work, Event, Means of Transportation, Anatomic structure,
>> Olympic record, Language, Chemical compound, Species, Weapon,
>> Protein, Disease, Supreme Court of the US, Grape, Website, Music
>> Genre, Currency, Beverage, Place).
>> I am of opinion to support the developers even when they misdirect.
>> But this 'classification' meant to be used for 'wikipedia's infobox-
>> to-ontology mappings' is a complete disorder, having a chance for
>> the URL http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Mess.
>> Ontology is designed to put all things in their natural places, not
>> to make mess of the real world; if you deal with chemical compound
>> and protein, it requests an arrangement like as protein <
>> macromolecule < organic compound < chemical compound < matter,
>> substance < physical entity < entity. The same with other things,
>> however hard, rocky and trying it may be.
>> This test and trial proves again that any web ontology language
>> projects, programming applications or semantic systems, are
>> foredoomed without fundamental ontological schema.
>
> Is Wikipedia foredoomed also?
>
> Dan

It may very well be, if your ontological commitment is that all things
have "natural places", and the real world is not actually a mess.
However, at least for the kind of ontology being discussed here, it
seems to me that the ontology may not be so much *making* a mess of
the real world as reflecting it.

--Frank