Re: DBpedia 3.2 release, including DBpedia Ontology and RDF links to Freebase

John Goodwin wrote:

>> Have fun with the new DBpedia knowledge base!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Thanks Chris and team for all your hard work getting this done. I do,
> however, have a few comments regarding the OWL ontology. I think in
> general the use of domain and range is perhaps a bit "dubious" in that
> for many things I think it is overly specified. I can imagine anyone
> re-using the Dbpedia properties getting some unexpected inferences from
> the domain and range restrictions. Also the range restriction seem to be
> done as an OWL intersection so if, for example, something has a
> publisher x then x will be inferred to be both a Company and a Person
> which is probably not what you want. Personally, in all but a few cases,
> I'd be tempted to generalise or just remove the domain/range
> restrictions. Any thoughts?
>
> john
> .

John,

Yes, this issues exist with the DBpedia Ontology, but also bear in mind
this is also why UMBEL and DBpedia have been Linked :-)

Eventually (as per my other mail posts), the DBpedia Ontology will need
to be linked with UMBEL (*which isn't the case right now*) so that it
can benefit from the work done in the UMBEL project. That said, UMBEL is
also a loosely bound ontology for DBpedia already, so you can also
optionally leverage for inference purposes  right now.  All in all, I am
hoping a lot of the inherent flexibilities that the Internet hosted
Distributed Database we know as the Web accords start to come through
with much more clarity following DBpedia 3.2.

Kingsley
> This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.
>
> Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation.
>
> Ordnance Survey
> Romsey Road
> Southampton SO16 4GU