Re: LOD, TechPresentations.org and Semantic MediaWiki

Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> [...]
>
> Welcome to the list!
>
> On 28 Mar 2008, at 18:51, Sergey Chernyshev wrote:
>> My name is Sergey Shernyshev and I'm running TechPresentations.org
>> project using Semantic MediaWiki (SMW).
>>
>> Currently I'm thinking about making the dataset more open and want to
>> connect it to LOD through presentation topics that I recently
>> introduced into the project.
>> I wonder if someone can give me any recomendations about going open?
>>
>> I see two major parts here:
>> 1. Using some open vocabulary for describing the data. The question
>> here is how do I find a vocabulary? The only one relatively close to
>> TechPresentations is http://www.w3.org/2004/08/Presentations.owl
>> (thanks to Ivan Herman for this!), but it's definitely geared towards
>> w3c's activities and I don't know if there is anything else beyond
>> that on the market, will appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
>
> I think that FOAF, the Dublin Core Terms, and the SWRC ontology should
> provide you with a fairly complete collection of the required terms.
> If you can't find anything that fits your needs, don't hesitate to
> create your own classes and properties, you can always add superclass
> relationships to existing terms later.
>
>> 2. Connecting to LOD dataset. Being quite new to the project, I have
>> very vague idea of the process and will be happy to get a pointer to
>> some documentation about it. SMW is a great tool and I'll be happy to
>> work with it's development team to incorporate all the best practices
>> that will make all SMW-powered sites a potential source for LOD data,
>> I just need to get better understanding of the requirements.
>>
>> Right now I'm just working on adding "Equivalent URI" SMW special
>> property to pages which get translated to "owl:sameAs" on RDF export
>> - you can see an example of the page here:
>> http://www.techpresentations.org/MySQL (factbox at the bottom links
>> to DBPedia's http://dbpedia.org/resource/MySQL) and
>> http://www.techpresentations.org/Special:ExportRDF/MySQL - RDF export
>> for the page (you can see <owl:sameAs
>> rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/MySQL"/> being added).
>
> Some potential interlinking opportunities:
>
> - owl:sameAs to DBpedia for topics covered in TechPresentations.org,
> as you already do
> - foaf:homepage links for people (if known)
> - owl:sameAs links to FOAF profiles of people (if known)
> - OntoWorld.org seems to cover some of the same ground and already has
> URIs for many people, conferences and so on
> - The L3S DBLP server already has URIs for many people and the papers
> that might be associated with the talks
>
>> I also have some ideas on how SMW and it's extensions (Semantic
>> Forms, Semantic Drilldown and some visualization extensions like
>> Semantic Google Maps and etc.) can be useful for LOD project, for
>> example, it can be used as publicly open editor for interconnections
>> between various datasets.
>
> Interesting. There is some (still very early) existing work about

Richard,

Who is behind: http://143.224.254.32/irs/ ?

I ask because I note that it doesn't attempt discern owl:sameAs links
from input URIs. For instance, I have a lot of owl:sameAs links that can
be discerned via any of my data space uris:
1. http://myopenlink.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this
2. http://community.linkeddata.org/dataspace/person/kidehen2#this
3. http://kidehen.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this

The system should ask me to confirm the owl:sameAs claims rather than
make me type them in all over again, is my key point.

Kingsley

>> I'll be happy to discuss them with the community if there is interest
>> in this technology.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>>           Sergey
>>

>> --