Re: LOD, TechPresentations.org and Semantic MediaWiki

Sergey,

Welcome to the list!

On 28 Mar 2008, at 18:51, Sergey Chernyshev wrote:
> My name is Sergey Shernyshev and I'm running TechPresentations.org
> project using Semantic MediaWiki (SMW).
>
> Currently I'm thinking about making the dataset more open and want
> to connect it to LOD through presentation topics that I recently
> introduced into the project.
> I wonder if someone can give me any recomendations about going open?
>
> I see two major parts here:
> 1. Using some open vocabulary for describing the data. The question
> here is how do I find a vocabulary? The only one relatively close to
> TechPresentations is http://www.w3.org/2004/08/Presentations.owl
> (thanks to Ivan Herman for this!), but it's definitely geared
> towards w3c's activities and I don't know if there is anything else
> beyond that on the market, will appreciate any thoughts and
> suggestions.

I think that FOAF, the Dublin Core Terms, and the SWRC ontology should
provide you with a fairly complete collection of the required terms.
If you can't find anything that fits your needs, don't hesitate to
create your own classes and properties, you can always add superclass
relationships to existing terms later.

> 2. Connecting to LOD dataset. Being quite new to the project, I have
> very vague idea of the process and will be happy to get a pointer to
> some documentation about it. SMW is a great tool and I'll be happy
> to work with it's development team to incorporate all the best
> practices that will make all SMW-powered sites a potential source
> for LOD data, I just need to get better understanding of the
> requirements.
>
> Right now I'm just working on adding "Equivalent URI" SMW special
> property to pages which get translated to "owl:sameAs" on RDF export
> - you can see an example of the page here: http://www.techpresentations.org/MySQL
>  (factbox at the bottom links to DBPedia's http://dbpedia.org/resource/MySQL)
>  and http://www.techpresentations.org/Special:ExportRDF/MySQL - RDF
> export for the page (you can see <owl:sameAs rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/MySQL
> "/> being added).

Some potential interlinking opportunities:

- owl:sameAs to DBpedia for topics covered in TechPresentations.org,
as you already do
- foaf:homepage links for people (if known)
- owl:sameAs links to FOAF profiles of people (if known)
- OntoWorld.org seems to cover some of the same ground and already has
URIs for many people, conferences and so on
- The L3S DBLP server already has URIs for many people and the papers
that might be associated with the talks

> I also have some ideas on how SMW and it's extensions (Semantic
> Forms, Semantic Drilldown and some visualization extensions like
> Semantic Google Maps and etc.) can be useful for LOD project, for
> example, it can be used as publicly open editor for interconnections
> between various datasets.

Interesting. There is some (still very early) existing work about
open, collaborative interlinking here:
http://143.224.254.32/irs/

Richard