Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Metaweb has published Freebase data dumps

Chris Bizer wrote:
> See: http://blog.freebase.com/2008/03/28/full-data-dumps-are-now-available/
> I think that it would really be exiting to turn these dumps into RDF,
> publish them on the Web as Linked Data and interlink them with data
> sets
> from the LOD cloud. For instance, interlinking them with DBpedia
> should be
> very easy as both datasets contain Wikipedia article identifiers.

We would be happy to help support this effort to make our data more
LOD friendly.

One reason we did not yet emit simple RDF ourselves was potential
confusion about mapping specific freebase properties to the larger
range of possible ontologies.  It would be simple to declare a new set
of URIs for our schema, much harder to pick and choose from the large
array of available ontologies for the range of our data.

We have been experimenting with using freebase itself to help catalog
compatible ontologies for specific freebase properties.
For example http://www.freebase.com/view/user/jamie/web_ontology/property_mapping

If folks want to help with this, then it should be possible to use our
open API to generate RDF of whatever 'flavor' you happen to be working
with, by specifying a preferred set of ontologies at query time.

-jg