Re: Southampton Pub data as linked open data

On 28 Jul 2008, at 16:23, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2008, at 15:52, John Goodwin wrote:
>>> In an ideal
>>> world, John would declare pub:name a subproperty of
>>> rdfs:label, and the tools would infer the rdfs:label value...
>>> But most clients don't do that yet.
>>
>> Am I allowed to declare something as subproperty of rdfs:label?
>
> As far as I know, yes.
>
>> I'm
>> guessing this is one of those things that is allow in RDF, but not in
>> OWL DL?
>
> I would be surprised if that is the case.

You're surprised.

> What makes you think so?

The spec? :) But also you can try one of the species validators.

(rdfs:label is an annotation property and you are not allowed to
subproperty annotation properties in OWL DL)

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/syntax.html#2.1
"""Properties relate individuals to other information, and are
divided into four disjoint groups, data-valued properties, individual-
valued properties, annotation properties, and ontology properties"""

Then if you look at the rest of the grammar, you'll see where
annotation properties are allowed.

> Can anyone else comment on this?
>
> (FWIW, foaf:name is a subproperty of rdfs:label.)

And hence, not OWL DL.

Historywise, this sort of annotation is a kind of metamodeling. At
the time, the WebOnt working group (at least the DL contingent)
wasn't sure how to handle this (it's not a standard feature of
logics, esp. if you give it a strong semantic reading a la OWL Full).
So the compromise was to forbid this.

In OWL 2 (DL), you can get this sort of effect two ways, annotations
(which are under discussion and being explored) or by punning classes
and individuals (which won't actually help you with the built in
vocabulary).

Typically, subpropertying rdfs:label isn't really a *domain modeling*
thing, but an attempt to spec a *presentational* issue (i.e., many
UIs exploit rdfs:label, and one wants to indicate which properties
should show up in the UI). Thus, there's a bit of tension there.

HTH.

Cheers,
Bijan.