Re: RDFa + RDF/XML Considered Harmful? (was RE: Ordnance Survey data as Linked Data)

On 15 Jul 2008, at 13:40, Taylor Cowan wrote:

> An important difference between embedded RDF/XML and RDFa is that
> RDFa and the xhtml can use the same "literals".

? That seems true for RDF/XML as well. Hence parseType=Literal. You
can also hide literals, hence property attributes.

>   In other words, the text viewed by the human, and the text stored
> as the literal object of a triple is the same.

An option in RDF/XML.

> xhtml has the <meta/> tags which are pretty much ignored because
> they often have nothing to do with the real content of the page.
>
> If I have a web page of for sale listings, the RDFa isn't meta-data
> about the listings, it is the data.  It's just data-data, the data
> we really want, not extra data we thought to hide from human eyes.
> And that has implications for how useful, trustable, and spamable
> the content may be.
>
> And in the cases where the RDFa adds semantics on top of what the
> human sees, it's position carefully in place with the xhtml it
> modifies, not at the top or bottom of the document, relagated to
> 2nd class "meta-data" status.
[snip]

Sorry, I don't understand your point. I've no doubt that embedded RDF/
XML is nastier for several reasons, but this doesn't seem to be one
of them.

Cheers,
Bijan.