Re: RDFa + RDF/XML Considered Harmful? (was RE: Ordnance Survey data as Linked Data)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:35:29 +0100
Cc: SW-forum Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>, public-lod@w3.org

On 15 Jul 2008, at 12:16, Mark Birbeck wrote:
[snip]
> Sure. But there is nothing to say that you can't publish large
> datasets using XHTML+RDFa, i.e., producing XHTML+RDFa documents that
> are primarily intended for consumption by another server, rather than
> a web browser.
>
> Publishers might then choose to publish just one document type,
> especially when it can be consumed by search engines like
> SearchMonkey.
>
> Once people realise this, it will be interesting to see how much the
> RDF/XML format is used, going forwards.

[snip]

One funny aspect of RDF/XML, as I understand the history, is that
some of the quirkier aspects of its design stemmed from the goal of
being embedable in HTML (hence all the alternative forms) in a legacy
browser compatible way.

In this sense, RDFa aims to fulfill one of the RDF/XML goals that
helped make it (somewhat) unsuitable to backend work (compare with
NTriples).

If at first you don't succeed, try again 10 years later ;)

Cheers,
Bijan.