RE: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

> From: Bijan Parsia [mailto:bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk]
>
> On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
>

> >> From:  Bijan Parsia
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> 1) sameAs tends to merge annotations and similar meta data, because
> >> it's extensional.
> >> E.g., If I say someTerm dc:creator "Bijan" and someone else
> >> someOtherTerm dc:creator "BoogerHead Jones", and then we say that
> >> someTerm sameAs someOtherTerm, we've (semantically) lost the
> >> distinguish between who created what.
> >
> > As described, that example looks to me more like an illustration of
> > the misuse of dc:creator than of owl:sameAs.   If :someTerm and
> > someOtherTerm really denote the same thing, and then according to
> > my reading of owl:sameAs semantics,
> >
> >     someTerm dc:creator "Bijan" .
> >
> > means *exactly* the same thing as
> >
> >     someOtherTerm dc:creator "Bijan" .
> >
> > so I don't see any inappropriate loss of information.  Am I missing
> > something?
>
> I don't know how you determine which is the "real" mistake.

By reading the semantics of RDF and OWL:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/

> Typically, people mean that to be an annotation (e.g., myClass
> dc:creator "Bijan"). You can argue that the annotation system is
> broken (I've done that), but that really just pushes things around.

Well if we're arguing that the semantics of owl:sameAs should not be diluted, then I would think we should first take as a given that the semantics of RDF should not be diluted.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.