Re: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:55:09 +0100
To: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>, semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@w3c.org>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>

Hugh Glaser wrote:
> Thanks guys, a really interesting and important discussion.
> However, after the last couple of postings I have the feeling I may agree
> with both of you.
> Is that possible?

Bijan et. al. are right about the semantics of owl:sameAs, but as I've
said before, I think that something weaker needs to be coined
("lod:equivalentTo") that states that two URIs refer to the same thing
but that any semantic entailments *may* not hold (i.e. user beware).
That's a dangerous thing, I agree, but it seems to be what the Linked
Data community needs and what's happening organically in the wild with
the (ab)use of owl:sameAs.