Re: W3C/OGC WG Launched!

On 2015-01-13 5:42, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:
> Another possible consideration:
>
> JSON-LD is being talked about as a viable serialization format for RDF data - some folk are suggesting that it will soon be the default, thus also helping with RDF's developer-acceptability problem. In which case, the issue of overlaps between LOCN, GeoJSON, and other RDF vocabularies becomes more urgent and maybe more tractable.
>
> I am aware that the GeoJSON team has some thoughts around moving CRS support into a "-LD" extension to GeoJSON [1]. Now while the GeoJSON team are mostly concerned with the encoding, lets please make sure that the implications of this option to the RDF view is considered. I'm not yet familiar enough with JSON or JSON-LD to tease it out, so I hope someone else maybe has the knowledge and motivation.
>
> [1] https://github.com/geojson/geojson-ld/issues/27
Thanks for the notification.
Until now I haven't had any experience with GeoJSON, but I have played
with JSON-LD. As far as I know, JSON-LD is a notation for RDF graphs, so
it is similar to other RDF formats like Turtle and RDF/XML. So whatever
definition of CRS we come up with, it should be fine in JSON-LD.

GeoJSON on the other hand seems to be an alternative notation for
geographical data. So it is similar to WKT or GML. Personally, I think
geospatial data are better off making use of common models like RDF
instead of using yet another domain specific model, but again I see no
conflict. Perhaps it would be beneficial for GeoJSON-LD if they can use
locn:crs instead of having to define geojson:crs?

Reading some of the discussion going on at GeoJSON, it seems that a big
gripe is with the old style CRS definitions, as standardised by the
EPSG. The main problem there is that geodetical reference systems (those
using degrees instead of meters as units) usually have a different axis
order, meaning that coordinates take the form of (latitude,longitude),
which translates to (y,x) in the cartesian systems that are used for
flat maps. This causes headaches among web developers. But I think the
OGC already solved that problem (or is solving that problem?) by
removing references to EPSG from CRS definitions. For example,
http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/OGC/1.3/CRS84 is just like EPSG:4326,
only the axis order is different. If everyone starts using those new OGC
definitions, there no longer will be axis order confusion.

Regards,
Frans

Frans Knibbe
Geodan