Re: Open Location Code

:

> Hi Frans,
>
> [Thanks for pointing us this initiative. I’ve never heard it before…
>
> Le 21 août 2015 à 11:26, Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl> a écrit :
>
> Besides this being an interesting development in the area of locations and
> addresses, I wonder how such a new way of identifying a location could be
> used with the Location Core Vocabulary. It is an address-like thing, but it
> does not seem to fit the INSPIRE Address Representation data type
> <http://inspire-twg.jrc.ec.europa.eu/data-model/approved/r937/fc/#_C2538>.
> It can be used instead of an address, but also be  part of an address (see
> the example "P9FW+6M Pisa, Italy”).
>

> Looking at the requirements used to build OLC
> https://github.com/google/open-location-code/blob/master/docs/comparison.adoc#desired-attributes,
> it’s clear that INSPIRE data type is not mention maybe because it’s too
> difficult to handle?
>
> In the same doc [1] they mention other initiatives, like the one pointed
> by Raphael, and add two more services. Could be interesting to understand
> why in their study, they didn’t mention INSPIRE at all.
>
> What I see really interesting here is in their design goal: “OLC is
> especially designed for places where buildings aren't numbered or streets
> aren't named.”

I guess that is a reason why the INSPIRE address data type was not
considered. The INSPIRE data type is based on traditional postal addresses,
but not all locations have a postal address. These other systems can be
used to identify any place on earth. Which is useful in many scenarios,
like having a pizza delivered to the patch of grass in a park where you
happen to sit :-).

Regards,
Frans

--