Re: Disjointedness of FRBR classes

Ross makes some good points here, though some of the statements that he
makes imply positions that are more constrained than I think he actually
holds.

The word "book" is a traditional example of a word that has multiple
meanings. Consider the following pair:

1) Did I lend you Moby Dick? Yes- the book is in my backpack.

2) Did you read Moby Dick? Yes- the book is deeply moving.

In (1) the word book refers to a tangible physical thing existing in
time-and-space.

In (2) the word book refers to  an intangible thing; there need be no
physical copies in existence to preserve the existence of this intangible
book; for example, if all physical copies were destroyed by Firemen, but the
contents were memorized and passed on through oral tradition, the book as
conceptual work remains.

The whole point of the model that FRBR is based on is to  carefully separate
these meanings. There are confusions in the ifla text, but the underlying
distinctions between the kinds of entities are important and have real
implications.

It is possible to construct variants of FRBR where work and item need not be
individuals- one approach is to retreat from absolute identity and use some
form of sortal relative identity; this is a useful way of viewing frbr from
the bottom up (imew); for example, when looking at version control systems
like svn.

Simon