Re: Disjointedness of FRBR classes

On 1 November 2011 21:45, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Jakob,
>
> I would love to see some examples of treating FRBR classes as not disjoint.
> I'm having trouble imagining the situations, so some examples would make
> this discussion more concrete. (I have a gut feeling that disjoint classes
> will cause us to run into difficult situations, but I can't come up with a
> real case.)

How about the Harry Potter example from
http://blog.iandavis.com/2006/06/14/harry-potter-in-frbr/ and
http://www.frbr.org/2006/06/13/eg-1 ? Oh my, that was 5 years ago;
time flies, eh?

Ok so this example below strips out some facts, and flattens some others.

1) original (simplified)
_:hpgf a frbr:Work ;
  dc:title "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"@en ;
  dct:abstract """Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the
    Quidditch World Cup, (etc ... )"""@en ;
  frbr:creator _:jk ;
  frbr:realization [
    a frbr:Expression ;
    rdfs:label "Original text" ;
    frbr:embodiment [
      a frbr:Manifestation ;
      rdfs:label "Bloomsbury (UK) hardcover" ;
   ]
]

1) flattened (simplified)
_:hpgf a frbr:Work ;
  dc:title "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"@en ;
  dct:abstract """Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at
the Quidditch World Cup, (etc ... )"""@en ;
  frbr:creator _:jk ;
  rdfs:label "Original text" ;
  rdfs:label "Bloomsbury (UK) hardcover" ;

Maybe this isn't the perfect example, since the properties I've
flattened down are expressed using rdfs:label rather than anything
with an rdfs:domain of eg. frbr:Expression  or frbr:Manifestation.

If the assertions did use such properties, it would imply that _:hpgf
was at one and the same time a Work, Expression *and* Manifestation.
But since they're disjoint, the walls of the bibliographic universe
would fold in on themselves and everything would swirl out of control,
destroying all we hold dear. Or maybe some OWL tools would pop up
"Abort / Retry / Fail" dialogs; who knows?

Dan